by Elizabeth Weichel Moore
Underhill Center was emerging as a village center with a store and a sawmill. New settlers from New Hampshire of the Methodist Episcopal persuasion built a meetinghouse and the new local cemetery served their needs. The earliest burial appears to be 1824. The last burial is dated 1921. Neglected for some time, The Underhill Center Cemetery has been maintained for many years by members of the Hanaford Fife and Drum Corps. The corps is named for the young drummer, Nathanial Hanaford, who served in the War of 1812 and is buried in the cemetery. (The cemetery is often referred to as the ‘Hanaford Cemetery). Recently the Select board of the Town of Underhill installed a fine new wood fence around the property.
1821 (vol.6 p 115) David Goodhue (M.E. minister d.1837) deeds 1/2 acre to Town of Underhill for a burying ground. (Is actually ~ 1A.).
Earliest Burial: 1824 ?
Most Recent Burial: Lewis D. Melvin 1921